Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Deregulation Sucks

So with all this business about investment banks and the stock market, I'll happily chuck in my uninformed two cents.

People are greedy, and when being greedy is easy to get away with, they get extra greedy. I have illegally downloaded music that I've never even loaded into itunes, let alone listened to. I've downloaded hundreds of applications that started up maybe once. When you can get away with all this, the specialness of things decreases as does one's fear of getting caught.

If firms are making money hand over fist using shady practices, but no one tells them to knock it off, they're gonna use shadier practices.

I don't know why this is such news. In this age of government officials having such disregard for the law, it only makes sense others would feel it longer applies to them either. Who knew you could tell a subpoena to go fuck itself?

Laws are really more of handy suggestions.

I'm still waiting for the day when "Karl Rove did it" is someone's defense.

1 comment:

joeyb said...

Agreed. Lehman Brothers and the other i-banks were like out of control, drug addicted, heartless bookies. Case in point: http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aZ8uXd_YXiBY

Seriously, why is no one in handcuffs yet?