Thursday, October 11, 2007

Evite Sucks

Somewhere within the last week of my inbox are at least three evite emails for different events. I am aware of all of them, and from what I glean from the emails, are enjoyable enough events. But i'm not going to click on the link if I can help it.

I wouldn't say I hate the evite website the way I hate something like, say, writing in the 1st person plural or trips to the Burbank Ikea, but I do have issues. Two of them.

The first I feel is simple. I don't respond "no" to evites, or pretty much any invitation other than something where some personally contacts me for specific reasons. But SPECIFICALLY I don't say "no" on the evite website. I have this rule because I think it screws up the karma of the event to have a bunch of "out of town"s and "have something else (better) I have to (always "have") go to already"s listed. Not gonna be there, don't say "yes", in fact don't say anything at all.

I suppose it could be argued that even a "no" is a positive in and of that it says that the host has actual friends who care enough to write an excuse and isn't just one of those people with a 70 person email list that they like to abuse. But I'm not going to think about that, because it messes with my policy.

My second problem stems from the one time I made an evite invitation. Evite tells you who's looked at the page, even if they just looked. So Jeff looks at my page and doesn't respond. Is that a no? Is he waiting to see who else comes (what an asshole!)? Checking that one page and seeing who had and who hadn't been on, and what they hadn't or had written caused me to get all--I don't know what the word is--I... I felt betrayed by these "friends" of mine who wouldn't commit to my awesome event. It caused me to live out my friends feelings about me in my head. Paranoid. That's the word.

I do think it's a rather useful tool. Not amazing, because you could accomplish the exact same thing w/ a mass emailing, but whatever, it serves a small myspacey need.

But i'm not gonna click on your evite. Sorry. I'm bad enough w/ my free time schedule.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Jack,

Though you sound jaded about online invitations in general, you might consider Yarp at http://yarp.com. They address all of your concerns and complaints about Evite: no "maybes," no guilt-ridden comments when replying "no," no login needed, and it's simple.

-Chris

Jack said...

thank you. seriously.